Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Eating/New Equipment and signing

Eating
We are so excited about Kylee's eating. On Sunday she ate a whole container of Pears and a half of container of sweet potatoes. This is the most she has eaten in a long time and she also seemed to enjoy it. So we are now making sure that she eats "solids" at least twice a day. The nurses are going to feed her once and then I will feed her supper. Hopefully her intake will increase.

Equipment
Our social worker from the county called and they are ordering Kylee's equipment. We are getting a Special Tomato, a Squiggles seating system and a stander. If our insurance ends up paying for the stander then we can purchase something else which we are thinking about purchasing a swing system for our basement. Kylee loves to swing in a blanket and it is really good for her vestibular system. That is about the only time I every really see her smile is when we are swinging her in the blanket.

Signing
We also think that she signed more the other day. We have been making her sign the word more when we do something with her in order for us to do more of it (such as swinging or reading a book or eating). The other day we were swinging her and she brought her hands together as if she was signing more. So then we would swing her some more. Then we would stop and then she did it again so then we started swinging her again. It is a start. So now I want to get some more information on signing to see if we can work on some other words.


Special Tomato chair

Squiggles feeding system (kind of hard to see but she sits in it with her legs straight out)

2 comments:

Angie said...

Welcome to the 1p36 family! And I'm glad to meet you...hopefully in person sometime soon. Maybe at this next year's conference in Indy. Kylee is absolutely precious, and just as many of the other 1p36 kids reminds me of our little Alayna. I saw that Squiggles seat when I was checking out standers. It looks really neat! I may have to mention that to our therapists. Let me know how it works for her. I will add you to Alayna's blog. I hope you don't mind! And make sure you introduce yourself and Kylee to the entire yahoo support group. We love to give welcomes and hear more about each child. XXXXOOOOO

Karen said...

Thanks Angie....I hope we get to meet someday also. I would love to go to the conference next year. We will have to wait and see how things go. We are so excited to get our new equipment I will keep you posted on how we like it. We were so lucky to get this money so we could purchase some equipment that our insurance wouldn't pay for. It is CRAZY how much all that stuff cost. Thank you for adding me to your blog. I will do the same some day. It is still a work in progress. Plus I don't want to add anyone that doesn't want to my on here.
THANKS for EVERYTHING...you have no idea how much you have helped me.