Thursday, February 11, 2010

Diet and Thyroid

Diet/GI and Thyroid
Well Kylee's thyroid test has come back and of course she follows no pattern for either hyper or hypo. Her TSH is high and her T3 is on the lower end of normal low and her T4 is high. So the decision has been made that we need to see yet another Dr. We will be adding and endocrinologist to our list. In the mean time GI has decided to cut her calories. So she is going from 32 oz of formula to 29 oz and then the rest she will get as water or as "gold" (pedialyte...that stuff can add up when you use it daily). Kylee loves her "gold". If she is a little sleepy if you give her and oz or two of that you would think you gave her a can of Mountain Dew.
We are also done with the first round of medicine and it seems to have slowed the #2 diapers down some so we are hoping that will do the trick.

Sitting
Kylee is doing so well with her sitting. She can now sit all by herself for about 5 minutes. After that she wants to throw herself back but if you just poke her with one finger she will remember to sit back up. We are so proud of her. I wouldn't call her an official sitter yet as I don't feel comfortable not being right there when she is sitting but I think we are on our way.
Monday
Monday will be a big day for us. We are heading to Milwaukee for a fun packed day. We start off with getting a new GJ tube place. Then we are heading over for our first dentist appointment. Which should be interesting as she won't let you in her mouth for very long but I am hoping they will have some tips for brushing her teeth. Then we go to neurologist. Our neurologist is such a busy lady that she books out years in advance so we have not seen her since Kylee got her dx last January. I think our next appointment with her is scheduled for 2011. We do see her NP in between those visits and do lots of calls.
One Year
I can't help but think back to a year ago and cry. Last year at this time I was holding my baby girl in my arms and telling her how much I loved her and that if she was tired of fighting that I understood. It took me a whole 2 years to come to terms that I could loose my little girl and that it would be ok. It would be hard but it would be ok...she would be in no pain and wouldn't have to fight so hard for every little thing. Last year at this time she was in the hospital on high levels of oxygen and her heart was not functioning probably. She was at the Neenah hospital and they decided to send her to Milwaukee to ICU. The Dr asked me if I had a DNR on her and I lost it. I never had anyone ask me that before and that made me realize how bad she was. Let me tell you that is a hard decision to make and a year later I still have not been able to make that decision. Kylee is a fighter and has come a long way since this time last year. I am so proud of her and grateful for each day I have with her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
Your blogs are so interesting
and touching.
I get tears in my eyes just reading them.
Good Luck Monday.
Sheila W.

Anonymous said...

Karen, so nice to see you on Monday. Hope all went well. Just a thought, according to some paper I got if you go to a "health check" through title 19 the doctor can write you a perscription for pedialyte and you don't have to pay.
Ashley

Genevieve Ross said...

Yay about the sitting! That is amazing! And of course Kylee couldn't follow the typical atypical pattern for thyroid- that would be boring for her doctors to figure out!

Sounds like this time of year brings up a lot of memories and an important anniversary for you. I'll be thinking of you.

-Genevieve